Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: none Common Name: Thai House
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1926
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
In the opinion of the survey, this property is located in a potential historic districe (National and/or local).
This is one of the most intact of the small commercial buildings in the Uptown business district at the base of Queen Anne hill. This section of Queen Anne Avenue North has been a commercial district as far back as the 1880s, when the surrounding area began to develop. Growth increased with the completion of the Denny Regrade and with the initiation of the trolley up Queen Anne Avenue to the top of the hill in 1902. Although the street was lined with commercial buildings by the 1920s, most of these older buildings have either been demolished or have been significantly altered. As could be expected, a wide variety of businesses have been located in this building. In 1938, there was a lending library, a dairy store and Spokane Charlie's Hand Laundry, owned by Charlie Chin. There been an Asian restaurant here since at least 1960 and, from the 1950s into the 70s, a variety store, first Rhodes and later the Fuji 10 Cent Store.
 
Appearance
Constructed in 1926, this commercial building is located midblock on the west side of Queen Anne Avenue N between W Mercer and W Republican streets. The 1-story building has a rectangular plan and stands on a poured concrete foundation. The building is clad in brick veneer with terra cotta ornamentation. The building has a flat roof with a shaped parapet on its main (east) elevation; the parapet features a terra cotta coping. The building is divided into four bays, with brick pilasters capped with ornate capitols which extend up to the parapet edge. Each bay features a storefront. A terra cotta band runs above each storefront. The upper half of the pilasters are clad with terra cotta, with acanthus plinths at the transom level and finials set into the recesses of the parapet.  According to a historic photograph included with the historic King County Assessor property card, the storefronts each featured a centered, recessed entrance flanked by large storefront windows on a low tile bulkhead. A multi-lite transom ran the entire width of the storefront unit. The storefront windows were largely flush with the main elevation, but angled in slightly to the recessed entrances. The storefront windows and bulkheads on the southern three storefronts are mostly intact. The northern storefront has been completely altered. Only one storefront (second one in from the south) retains its original multi-lite transom. The terra cotta and brick on the southern half of the main elevation have been painted. The brick on the northernmost bay has been covered over with new wood cladding.

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Specialty store Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Commerce
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Reinartz, Kay F. Queen Anne: Community on the Hill. Seattle: Queen Anne Historical Society, 1993.

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464


Photo taken Aug 12, 2002

Photo taken Feb 26, 2018

Photo taken Feb 26, 2018

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0