Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 615-625 W McGraw ST W / Parcel ID 239710-0005 / Inv # QA002

Historic Name: Banks & Mock's Bakery Common Name: Macrina/Fountainhead
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Frederick Anhalt; William Whiteley Year Built: 1926
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the National Register of Historic Places.
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
This is an outstanding intact example of a neighborhood commercial building from the 1920s. Buildings of this type were constructed throughout the city to provide goods and services (particularly groceries, meat markets, bakeries and pharmacies) that were a convenient walk from every household. They were often built on streetcar lines, as was this one. The West Queen Anne streetcar line from downtown terminated at 6th West and McGraw, making this a prime corner for commerce. There has nearly always been a bakery here; the ovens are dated 1924. It began as Anderson's Bakery and became the Banks and Mock Bakery, the Queen Anne Bake Shop and the McGraw Street Bakery. Macrina Bakery and the Fountainhead gallery currently occupies the building. The corner spot was a drugstore for more than seventy years; it was known as Maughan's for more than thirty of those. Other past tenants have been grocery stores, meat markets, dry cleaners, a lending library, beauty salons, a cobbler and a clothing store. This is one of several small commercial buildings built by Frederick Anhalt. Anhalt began his Seattle development career in 1926 with these buildings but soon turned to unique apartment buildings. Anhalt roughed out the plans, while William Whiteley, an architect with whom he frequently worked, prepared the finished designs. This structure is unusual for the amount of terra cotta detailing and the degree to which it retains its original features.
 
Appearance
This brick building fills the southeast corner at Sixth Avenue West and West McGraw Street, extending down both streets for about half a block. The storefronts are separated by terra cotta pilasters, each topped by an acanthus capitol and an ornate pineapple finial. Each storefront has a stepped parapet; every other one is ornamented with a large shield-and-wreath medallion. The stores have wood display windows, large multipaned transoms glass-and-wood doors and yellowish tile bulkheads. The bakery has folding doors that open up to the street, which allowed the grocer to set produce out on sidewalk stands. The south (rear) elevation is stucco clad with small newer window sash.

Detail for 615-625 W McGraw ST W / Parcel ID 239710-0005 / Inv # QA002

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Specialty store Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce, Community Planning/Development
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Kreisman, Lawrence. Apartments by Anhalt. Seattle: Kreisman Exhibit Design, 1978.
Reinartz, Kay F. Queen Anne: Community on the Hill. Seattle: Queen Anne Historical Society, 1993.

Photo collection for 615-625 W McGraw ST W / Parcel ID 239710-0005 / Inv # QA002


Photo taken Oct 20, 2004
App v2.0.1.0