Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 824 E Pike ST E / Parcel ID 6003000525 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Broadway State Bank Common Name: Tully's
Style: Beaux Arts - Neoclassical Neighborhood: Pike/Pine
Built By: Year Built: 1913
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
This is one of Broadway's most distinctive and intact buildings, a classic corner bank building at a key intersection (1501 Broadway and 824 E Pike Street). It was built in 1913 by the Eastlake Investment Company and initially housed the Broadway State Bank. Since the bank's closure, it has had various uses. For some time after World War II it was used by Edison Technical School, the successor to Broadway High School. Over the years is has also housed a finance company, a discount appliance store and, in the western section, a wholesale auto parts dealer. It is now a coffee shop.

The architects, Louis and Michael Beezer, arrived in Seattle from Pittsburgh in 1907, and soon established an architectural practice, which became one of the largest in the region. They did residences and offices buildings, but became particularly well known for their banks and the large number of projects they designed for the Catholic Church throughout the Northwest. Their major designs in Seattle include Blessed Sacrament Church, O'Dea High School and rectories and schools for Immaculate Conception and St. Joseph's parishes. They also worked outside of Seattle, including St. Dominic's Church in San Francisco and numerous projects in Walla Walla, including the Baker-Boyer Bank Building. In 1923 Louis established a branch office in San Francisco, where he died in 1929. Michael remained in practice in Seattle until his retirement in 1932.
 
Appearance
The main entry of this distinctive building is at the rounded corner with oak-and-glass double doors with a large transom. Above the entry is a cornice supported by decorative corbels, and a large clock on which sits an eagle with outstretched wings. The top of the two-story tan brick building has a terra cotta balustrade and a dentillated cornice. The first floor display windows are little changed, with large single-light transoms. The tall windows on the second floor extend close to the floor; they have newer sash, but retain the original X-pattern balustrade in front of the windows. The bulkhead is concrete, as are the window sills and lintels and the plinths of the unadorned two-story brick pilasters. There is a simple secondary entry at the north end of the east elevation.

Detail for 824 E Pike ST E / Parcel ID 6003000525 / Inv # 0

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Financial Institution Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 824 E Pike ST E / Parcel ID 6003000525 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jun 29, 2011
App v2.0.1.0