Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 7910 Greenwood AVE / Parcel ID 6690500006 / Inv # GR013

Historic Name: Greenwood Masonic Lodge #253 Common Name: Greenwood Masonic Lodge #253
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: Greenwood/Phinney
Built By: Stephen, Stephen & Brust Year Built: 1924
 
Significance
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
The Greenwood Masonic Temple was built in 1924 early in a period of heavy development in Seattle neighborhoods. Greenwood Avenue was a particularly important arterial, with the streetcar extending to the city limits a few blocks north of this building; a substantial business district and surrounding residences grew in the area. Masonic organizations were typically important contributors to these growing commercial districts. Greenwood Lodge #253 has served as the local meeting place for numerous Masonic groups over the years, including Job's Daughters and the Order of the Eastern Star. It still serves as the local Masonic headquarters and is also available for rental to other groups. James Stephen is best know for his extensive and pioneering work in the design of Seattle's schools. He arrived in Seattle after the fire of 1889 and practiced for three years with Timotheus Josenhans. In 1899 the school district hired him to prepare plans for new schools and additions. He held the position of Official School Architect until 1909, designing and supervising more than fifty school building projects during this period of great expansion. He developed a model for a school that could be easily expanded as needs changed. He also designed schools for surrounding districts, and residential, ecclesiastical and commercial buildings as well. His son Frederick joined the firm in 1908, after graduating from the University of Pennsylvania. His classmate, William G. Brust, became a partner in 1917. The elder Stephen retired in 1928, so this building was designed toward the end of his career.
 
Appearance
This two-story red brick building has two storefronts with the main entry to the upstairs lodge hall at the south end of the main (west) fa├žade. The building has a cast stone cornice with a wave pattern, and the words "Greenwood Temple," flanked by Masonic symbols, all in cast stone. The main entry is ornate, with wood double-leaf doors beneath a wrought iron balconette with decorative corbels, flanked by wrought iron fixtures with light globes. Near the entry is a cornerstone with the date 1924. The storefronts have original recessed doorways and stucco bulkheads, but with newer steel doors and window frames. The north elevation is stucco, with a large painted sign saying "Greenwood Masonic Center" with the telephone number. The roof is covered with numerous antennas, with a barely-visible low gabled roof that most likely allows additional ceiling height for the main meeting room in the rear half of the building. Windows on the second floor are newer 1/1 single-hung white vinyl sash.

Detail for 7910 Greenwood AVE / Parcel ID 6690500006 / Inv # GR013

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Social - Meeting Hall Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Social Movements & Organizations
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, ed. Shaping Seattle Architecture, A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994.

Photo collection for 7910 Greenwood AVE / Parcel ID 6690500006 / Inv # GR013


Photo taken Oct 26, 2001
App v2.0.1.0