Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 7601-7613 Greenwood AVE / Parcel ID 1646500300 / Inv # GR012

Historic Name: Warrington & Carskadden Desoto-Plymouth Common Name: Pelayo Antiques
Style: Spanish - Mediterranean Neighborhood: Greenwood/Phinney
Built By: William J. Jones Year Built: 1928
In the opinion of the survey, this property appears to meet the criteria of the Seattle Landmarks Preservation Ordinance.
This is an excellent example of an early neighborhood auto dealership, largely intact. Automobile sales and servicing was first concentrated in the Pike/Pine corridor. By the 1920s, however, automobile use had become so popular that dealerships were found on major arterials in several neighborhoods. This building was constructed in 1928. As was common at the time, the name and product changed frequently. From 1932-36 it was C. B. Ballard & Son (1932-36) and then the Warrington-Carskadden Desoto and Plymouth dealership (1938-1950s). In the 1950s dealerships began consolidating once again in a few locations where they could expand; this became a rug cleaning plant and, for the past few years, an antique store.
This one-story brick masonry building has a red tile roof that gives it a Mediterranean Revival flavor. The wirecut brick cladding is multicolored, with shades of red. brown and tan. The center of the east facade has a stepped gable above a large inset of one-inch tiles, painted to match the brick. It occupies most of the block, with a second storefront at the north end on Greenwood Avenue. The most distinctive feature is the corner drive-through entry, with a square brick supporting column and wood-framed, curved display windows with a newer glass-and steel door. The main facade on Greenwood has wood-framed display windows and a double-leaf glass-and-wood door with an arched transom, slightly recessed. One small bay is filled with wood slats. The second storefront, an auto repair business, has newer garage and doors; the display windows are original wood with a covered transom. The south elevation has three 20-light industrial sash windows with wood transoms, plus an 8-light wood sash window and two wood-framed display windows with covered transoms. The rear (west) and north elevations are clad with unglazed clay tile, with 15-light industrial sash windows. There is a one-story metal-clad addition, difficult to see from street level, occupying a small section of the roof. It appears to have been built in 1962 for the rug cleaning plant, and may contain equipment or storage space.

Detail for 7601-7613 Greenwood AVE / Parcel ID 1646500300 / Inv # GR012

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Clay Tile
Building Type: Transportation - Road- Related Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Commerce, Transportation
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 7601-7613 Greenwood AVE / Parcel ID 1646500300 / Inv # GR012

Photo taken Sep 03, 2001
App v2.0.1.0