Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2020 14th AVE / Parcel ID 1498300940 / Inv #

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Queen Anne Neighborhood: Beacon Hill
Built By: Year Built: 1902
Built in 1902, the building was owned by Myrtle Lingoland in 1917. In April of that same year, Mrs. Lingoland converted the existing shed into a garage. Clyde E. and Libby A. Puckett purchased the residence in June of 1919. Mr. Puckett worked as a pressman. Previously the pair resided at 8816 Third Avenue South. The Puckett’s resided in the building through 1949. By 1955, Floyd McCullough lived in the house. Mr. McCullough remained until 1966. From 1968 through 1970, Hoover M. Gee occupied the building. Beacon Hill is a long north-south tending ridge located southeast of downtown Seattle and stands 350 feet at its highest point. The hill’s steep topography deterred substantial Euro-American settlement through the early 1880s. Then, development of the area was stimulated by the introduction of streetcar lines in the 1890s, its proximity to Seattle’s main industrial area to the west, and the regrading of the hill’s north end in the early 1900s. Originally acquired by the City in 1898, Jefferson Park was integrated into Seattle’s Olmsted system of parks, and the Olmsted Brothers prepared a plan for the park in 1912. The first public golf course west of the Mississippi opened at Jefferson Park in 1915. Jefferson Park has exerted a profound positive influence on the development of the Beacon Hill neighborhood. Because of its proximity to the International District, Japanese and Chinese families moved to Beacon Hill starting in the 1920s. World War I and II stimulated a surge in housing development associated with wartime industry. The construction of Interstate 5 in the 1960s and Interstate 90 in the 1980s sliced through the neighborhoods and contributed to Beacon Hill’s relative isolation. Today, Beacon Hill is an ethnically diverse working class community, which has a mixed Asian, Chicano, African American, and Caucasian population.
Built in 1902, this Queen Anne-influenced, Vernacular style, single-family dwelling stands on a rectangular lot. The building is oriented to Fourteenth Avenue South on a flat site 2’ above street level. This 900 square foot, one-and-a-half story house with a half daylight basement features a rectangular plan, measuring approximately 42’ by 25’, with a 6’ by 10’ recessed front stoop. A post and pier foundation supports the wood frame, clapboard and shingle-clad superstructure. Shingle detailing highlights the transition between the first and half story. Sunburst detailing accents the gable end. Asphalt composition roofing covers the cross gable roof. Windows feature single hung wood sash windows with painted wood casings. A single story polygonal bay projects on the side facade. A direct flight of stairs leads to the recessed stoop. Two slender columns support the extended roofline over the stoop. Two brick chimneys service the building.

Detail for 2020 14th AVE / Parcel ID 1498300940 / Inv #

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): None
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Survey of City-Owned Historic Resources. Prepared by Cathy Wickwire, Seattle, 2001. Forms for Ravenna Park structures.
Tobin, Caroline. (2004) "Beacon Hill Historic Context Statement."

Photo collection for 2020 14th AVE / Parcel ID 1498300940 / Inv #

Photo taken Oct 17, 2003

Photo taken Oct 17, 2003

Photo taken
App v2.0.1.0