Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4106 12th AVE / Parcel ID 1142001585 / Inv # UD023

Historic Name: Jolliffe, Noble T. and Elizabeth, House Common Name:
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: University
Built By: Year Built: 1891
This is one of the earliest extant houses in the University District and the oldest house included in the survey of the University District. This simple vernacular house reflects the earliest period of development in the University District. This house was built shortly after the Brooklyn Addition was platted by James A. Moore in December of 1890. It retains its basic plan and windows, despite changes to the cladding and the porch details and the one-story rear addition. It was converted to a 3-unit building prior to 1937. Noble T. Jolliffe lived in the house starting in 1891when it was first built. Noble had several jobs including plasterer, dog trainer and salesman. Noble lived in the house until his death in the 1920s, and his widow Elizabeth lived in the house until 1935. Melville Gordon, a transfer company driver, owned the house in the late 1930s and 1940s. From the 1950s-1970s, the building was owned by Dr. Johnny N. Johnson. Because of its proximity to the University and its small scale, the building can be considered to be threatened. Similar to many other houses near the University, it has been converted to multiple housing units.
This simple vernacular house has an L-shaped plan with a gable front and gable side wing and is typical of the early wood-frame houses in the Brooklyn area. It was altered in 1904 when a porch was built, and a garage was demolished in 1959. The west elevation includes a three-sided bay window and an entrance porch. Originally, it had narrow clapboard siding and decorative shingles between the windows and above the second floor windows. The porch posts have been changed and the narrow columns with decorative spindle work removed. The original decorative stickwork on the gable end of the west elevation has been removed. The railings on the porch have also been taken down. A two-story rear addition was constructed prior to 1937, which had a sleeping porch on the upper level. There have been some minor additions on the north elevation, including an upstairs door. All doors on the house have been replaced. The basic window openings appear intact, and the double-hung windows appear original or have been replaced in kind. The original cladding was covered by wood shingles in about 1953. Interior alterations were made in 1979.

Detail for 4106 12th AVE / Parcel ID 1142001585 / Inv # UD023

Status: Yes - Inventory
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle Foundation(s): Post & Pier
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Intact
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
City of Seattle DCLU Microfilm Records.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.
City of Seattle. Seattle Inventory Field Form. 1979.

Photo collection for 4106 12th AVE / Parcel ID 1142001585 / Inv # UD023

Photo taken Jan 25, 2002
App v2.0.1.0