This 3-story brick-clad apartment building was constructed in 1930, according to the 1937 King County Assessor property card, in the Uptown neighborhood. The building is known as the Leonard Apartments. The building was constructed under building permit no. 292057 and was put into service on September 9, 1930. According to drawings dated from 1930, the building was designed by architect W. H. Whiteley for builder Horace E. Leonard. When the building opened it had 19 apartment units; one two-room unit, 12 3-room units, and six 4-room units. The interior featured mahogany trim.
William H. (W.H.) Whiteley designed many apartment buildings, quite a few of which were located in Uptown, and single-family residences during his career and occasionally collaborated with architect Ronald Campbell. Whiteley was born in Newfoundland, Canada. Whiteley and his wife Mildred had two children: Virginia and William, Jr. Horace E. Leonard (ca. 1891–1954) was a builder in Seattle, running Leonard Homes, Inc., and Olympus Homes, Inc. He worked with his son, Kinney Leonard. He was married to Eleanor Leonard and they had three children: Kinney, Arthur, and Gertrude. In addition to his professional work, Leonard was a member of the Seattle Master Builders Association and the Wallkingford Lodge No. 267, F. & A.M.