Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: None Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Built By: Year Built: 1929
 
Significance

This industrial building is in the Uptown neighborhood.

 
Appearance

Constructed ca. 1929, this one-part block form, brick masonry commercial building stands on the north side of Elliott Avenue W. The site is generally level and is along the base of Queen Anne Hill and Kinnear Park, which rise to the north behind the tax lot. This building features a flat roof with parapets. The parapet on the main building is peaked towards the middle of the front south facade, with a decorative metal or wood molding running along the top edge of the parapet. A rowlock brick course runs below this decorative molding. Three hipped roof skylights provide day lighting to interior spaces. Built up roofing clads the roof. The one-story building stands on a poured concrete foundation and has a rectangular plan. Raked brick veneer clads the building. The veneer is not bonded with header courses to the core structure. Metal sash, multi-lite windows along the south facade provide daylighting. Window openings feature flat headers with a continuous soldier course along the length of the openings, each of which have rowlock brick sills. A doorway at the south facade’s east end provides access to the interior, with a single upper lite and lower wood panel door.

A single-story office portion extends off the west end of the building. It is not known if this was built as part of the original building or a ca. 1950s addition. This portion features brick veneer cladding along the south and part of the west facades. A decorative solider course band extends along the parapet. Two six-lite wood sash windows provide day lighting along the south facade. The upper center pane on each window is set in an operable metal sash within the overall wood window sash. The west window consists of a large single lite. Window openings feature flat headers with a projecting header course for sub sills below the main wood sill. Wood brick moldings wrap the jambs and soffit. A recessed entrance provides access to the building, with a curved glass block enclosure along the west side of the entrance. Split faced roman bricks form a vertical pier along the west side of the glass blocks, at the outer southwest corner, and along another pier on the west facade. Cloth canopies project out over the window openings. Lapped siding clads the rear portion of the west facade. Three vinyl sash 1:1 windows provide daylighting along the rear of the west facade. A personnel door provides access to the building interior.

Alterations include a decorative treatment applied to the glass of the windows. An added canopy projects out over the south doorway of the main building, and additional canopies over the windows on the single-story office portion and the west facade vinyl windows.

Detail for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464

Status: Yes - Hold
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Rolled
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Warehouse Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.

Photo collection for this site is under review and the displayed data may not be fully up to date. If you need additional info, please call (206) 684-0464


Photo taken Feb 22, 2018

Photo taken Feb 22, 2018

Photo taken Feb 22, 2018

Photo taken Feb 27, 2018

Photo taken Feb 27, 2018

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0