Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
Parcel No. 3015270-0005
Plat (Replatted) HAMBLETS ACRE GARDENS REPLAT C-D 2-3 & N 2.2 FT OF 4 LESS ST
HAMBLETS ACRE GARDENS REPLAT C-D 2-3 & N 2.2 FT OF 4 LESS ST
PLat Block: 1
Plat Lot: 2-3-4
Built in 1912 this one story corner structure has always been used for commercial purposes. Originally there were three storefronts, with an apartment in the rear. The first property record lists two storefronts and a beauty parlor. The entrance at the northeast end has always had a door diagonal to the street. The 1937 photo from the Puget Sound Archives bears signage for Sunfreze Ice Cream. This was a Western Dairy Product and the local plant was considered cutting edge for its quick freezing methods. Their motto for Sunfreze was “A food as vital as sunshine.” A look at the census for 1930 shows a surprising number of people in the ice cream business. The plant employed some 200 employees.
The business name in the 1952 is obscured but signage indicates Groceries and Frozen Meats. Based on census various renters lived in the rear apartment. Through 2011 the business was the home of Brewers Lawn Mower Repair. The King County Property Report shows that Phillip & Cheryl Brewer sold the building to Gregory Payne in 1986, who remains today’s owner. Until 2011 the business operated as Brewers with one owner (unknown if it was the Brewers). New business owners didn’t do well in customer service and appear to have left after non-payment of rent. Portalis Wine Shop is the current tenant, operating a tasting room in what was once a separate shop. The bones of structure seem remarkably unchanged although three stores are now incorporated in one location.