Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
This single story building has had a retail presence on 24th NW since it was constructed in 1948. The side sewer card with a 1947 date lists C. W. Dailey as owner.
A 1949 photo in the King County Archives shows it as Ice Creamery and Delicatessen. In the 1949 Business Opportunities section this Just Opened Ice Creamer and Delicatessen is listed for sale. Once again in 1954 the Ice Creamery is for sale “$4500 full price” or monthly payments of $100 with interest and inventory, with no down payment to reliable party.
Bob McFarlane owned “Bob’s Radio and Television” which was at this location for at least 20 years. Mr. McFarlane and his wife Rose lived at 2827 N.W. 74th and then 246 N. 171st Street as of 1958. A 1963 listing in the Seattle Daily Times includes “Bob’s Ballard TV.” The Seattle Times in 1984 has a column written by Don Hannula in which he spoke with Bob McFarlane because of a comment President Reagan made about throwing a shoe at the television. He noted that Bob had been in the business since 1945.
King County Parcel Viewer shows the property transferring from Bob McFarlane’s personal representative to Sangar LLC in 2008. The current occupants are The Lemon Drop (vintage) and The Tea Cozy Yarn Shop.