Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
GILMAN PARK ADD LESS ALLEY
6100-6108 17th NW formerly 1550 W. 61st
Reuben Rosand is listed as owner and architect of this 16 unit apartment building that replaced a large residence (torn down). In The Seattle Daily Times of 11.18.55 it’s mentioned that Rosand was denied a permit because of not observing building line setback rules. The City Planning Commission ruled he would have to redesign the structure. He advertised regularly in the Seattle Daily with a caricature-like sketch of him looking professorial with glasses above a small body with the motto “A “Rosand” home you’ll be proud to own at a price you can afford to pay.” He had been building ramblers in Wallingford.
The Open House was featured in the March 10, 1957 SDT and described hand-painted murals by Barbara Boyle in the upstairs halls, Clay City Roman brick exterior and special insulation for soundproofing tested by the University of Washington. The 15 one-bedrooms (plus 1 two-bedroom) were to rent between $75-80/month. It was listed as designed, built and owned by Reuben Rosand of Rosand Construction.
Rosand died after a long illness in 1966 at the age of just 57, with a home address of 1732 NW 61st. He had been in Seattle for 20 years, having relocated from Duluth by way of several years in Bremerton. He was active in Ballard Rotary, Masons and the Commercial Club.
Still listed as Keith’s Apt. on the King County Parcel Viewer the apartments were sold to an LLC in 1998; before that it was still owned by individuals but not uncovered when Rosand was no longer the owner.