Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
This property is part of the Salmon Bay Park Addition to the City of Seattle. It was recorded on January 9, 1890. The owner is listed as Elon W. Denton.
The side sewer card lists E. F. Mench as the owner on November 5, 1930. Between 1930 and 1940 the house appeared several times for sale in Seattle Daily Times listings. In the 1940s it appears to have belonged to Ed and Marion Anderson. On October 22, 1945 the home was purchased by Alberta Mae Peneff, (widowed) and daughter Valencia R. Peneff (unmarried) and then noted “(now Chin) on October 10, 1947. August 31, 1949, the property is still owned by Alberta Mae Peneff (and someone else but it is not legible) and the Grantee is Valencia R. Peneff Chin.
The 1940 Census lists Alberta Peneff as a widow, born in “Canada French.” She lived at 1545 W 54th in 1940 and 1935. She had 3 children: Alfred, Alice, and Valencia.
A search of the Seattle Times produced the following information:
January 15, 1946 marriage license for Jim Chin, 36, 520 King St. and Valencia R. Peneff, 18, 7019 19th Ave NW.
May 4, 1954 funeral notice for Chin Lem Fong, husband of Valencia, father of Wanda and Alberta Chin. Interment at Lake View Cemetery.
November 14, 1958 a notice of intention to wed for Valencia R. Chin, 31, and Donald L. Peter, 25, of 7016 24th Ave NW.
June 29, 1967 a group photo includes Tina M. Peter of 7019 19th Ave NW. The occasion is a swearing in for the Women’s Army Corps.
During the 1930’s and on February 11, 1940 there are numerous classified ads for the sale of this house. The property records reflect many changes in ownership.
The King County Parcel Viewer lists a sale of the house in 1995 from Donald L. Peter and Valencia R. to Steve L. Murray and Jennifer A. Murray.