Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
This 1930 home was a rental for its first years, although the owners may also have been William & Mary Carlson in 1935 who are listed as residents in 1935 and 1940. His occupation listed in the City Directory was Fisherman. In 1939 the house was occupied by Steelwork Walter Greely and his wife Millie and then again by the Carlsons. Some time in 1940 the home was purchased by Donald E. Billington.
Billington was a Navy Officer who had been transferred from New Groton, Connecticut. As of 1942 he was living there with wife Sylvia and at least one son (also Donald) who was 12 at the time (Seattle Daily Times). In 1946 Billington received a service award that was written up in the Seattle Daily Times. In the article it referenced his 20 years in the Navy as well as the fact that he was stationed in Pearl Harbor at the time of the attack, serving on the Pennsylvania. He did 25 months of duty in the South Pacific. He was transferred to San Diego.
The resident as of 1954 per the City Directory are Arnold and Dora Davis. He’s was a purchasing agent in the U.S. Army (per Census). In 1964 the house was listed in Seattle Daily Times for quick sale, “owner transferred.” The listed price in the classified For Sale section was $14,750.
As of 1968 the home was owned by Duane G. Hadson. The record picks up again on the King County Parcel Viewer showing the home being sold in 1992, 1994, 1997 and again in 2006 to the present owners Sean King and Binh Thai.