Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2015 NW 61ST ST NW / Parcel ID 2767603025 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Crown Hill/Ballard
Built By: Year Built: 1910

Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.

The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.

After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue.  During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.


Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.

Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

McAlester, Virginia Savage.

A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A Knopf Press, 2013.

Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl

Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of

Washington Press, 1994.

Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.

It is unclear who was the original owner or builder of the house; a Seattle sewer permit records suggest that the Swedish Church was owner of record for the other early houses on the block, and possibly also owner of 2015, but this is inconclusive. The earliest documentation of ownership or occupancy is of Ethel Verna Soper renting or owning the house in 1938. Ms. Soper was a nurse who worked for Ballard Hospital; she emigrated to Seattle as a single woman via Victoria, British Columbia in 1918 and lived as a lodger at various locations in downtown Seattle and Ballard. The next occupants of record were Ludwig Arnold (born 1915) and Lois M Gerber (born 1917), husband and wife living in the house as of 1940; Ludwig employed as a helper at a plywood shop. Ludwig had come to Seattle via Colorado where he was born; living with his Swiss-born parents in south Seattle in 1930, and with his wife Lois in Ballard at 519 West 54th in 1937. Neighbors on 61st in 1940 included people from Minnesota, Nebraska, and Kansas, as well as Washington; occupations included laborer, field worker, long distance operator, dental assistant, and painter. In comparing census records from 1930 and 1940, there was a lot of change on the street—very few families were present on the street in both censuses. The Gerbers themselves left quickly, moving to 7345 Mary Avenue NW in 1943 and staying there until 1957, Ludwig working as an electrician. The Gerbers moved to Reno, Nevada in the early 1970s and Ludwig died in Sparks, Nevada in 1991. In the mid-1950s several individuals—G.W. Howard, Edward Quist, Gordon Granger, and Sigrid Johnson—are named as owners of the house, but City Directories do not indicate that any of them actually lived there.
When it was built in 1910*, the house was one of only five houses on NW 61st Street between 20th and 22nd Avenues Northwest. It is a narrow one-story structure, gable-front with a front porch the full width of the front façade. Three square columns with simple trim support the shed-roofed porch roof and a short series of steps at the west end of the porch lead straight up to the front door. A pair of tall, double-hung windows sits adjacent to the door facing the street. Exterior cladding is narrow tongue-in-groove siding; windows and door are trimmed out in plain boards with a crown mold at the top.

*King County Assessor’s Office card states the house was built in 1900, but City of Seattle Sewer Card says 1910.

Detail for 2015 NW 61ST ST NW / Parcel ID 2767603025 / Inv # 0

Classication: District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan:
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
: Slight
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 2015 NW 61ST ST NW / Parcel ID 2767603025 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0