Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 8001 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 4443801715 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Spanish - Eclectic Neighborhood: Crown Hill/Ballard
Built By: Year Built: 1930
 
Significance

Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.

The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.

After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue.  During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.

 

The brick Tudor house at 8001 25th Avenue NW was built in 1930.  A bedroom addition was done in about 1943.  The 1940 census shows the house valued at $5,000.

 

It's unclear who the original owners were, Stewart B. & Ada M. Fallis' names show up on permits in 1934 but the Seattle Polks Directory doesn't list them living there until 1937.  Stewart was a jeweler/watch repairman/optometrist who worked for his father at Elliott C. Fallis & Son Jeweler & Optometrists at 1516 1st Avenue.

 

Next couple to own the house were William D. & Vena B. Lewer (1942-44, maybe longer).  He was an instructor at Metropolitan Business College.  The Lewers did a bedroom addition.  It is not clear when Jack D. & Marie G. Tarrant purchased the house but the 1951, 1952 Seattle Polks Directories lists them residing there.  Jack was a driver.  William E. & Irene B. Woodbury lived in  the house from 1954-1963.  William was a machinist for Rowe Machine Works.  Rolf D. & Ellen I. Larsson owned the house for 30 years from 1964-1994.  Rolf was a cutter for Elmer Moody.  In 1994 Ashley A. & Pamela D. Mitchell purchased the house from Ellen Larsson for $160,000.  Ashley bought out Pamela's interest in the house in 2001, then sold the house to the current owners, Michael D. Gurley & Becky Hart.





References

 

Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.

 

Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.

 

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014. 

 

McAlester, Virginia Savage.

A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.

 

Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl

Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of

 

Washington Press, 1994.

Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.

 
Appearance
Constructed in 1930, this is a very unusual example of a single-family Spanish Revival house in Seattle. It is single story and roughly L shaped in plan, sits on a poured concrete foundation, is clad with red brick veneer, and has a flat asphalt clad roof. The front entry is an enclosed projecting bay with a rectangular door, accessed by brick steps. Overhanging tiled roof elements provide detail at the entry and on the secondary facades. The house corners are squared and give the illusion of inlaid towers. There is a large exterior brick chimney and windows appear to be replacement aluminum. Despite the presence of some replacement windows, this house appears to retain a high level of integrity.

Detail for 8001 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 4443801715 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan:
Structural System: No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 8001 25TH AVE / Parcel ID 4443801715 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Feb 01, 2016
App v2.0.1.0