Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
According to the King County Assessor's office this Queen Anne style house was built in 1906. Andrew Hansen worked as a laborer and lived in the house when it bore the address 706 Times before the annexation of Ballard in 1907.
The early occupants of this house revolve around a couple related families. Thomas Paulsen lived in the as early as 1910 as a lodger to Chas and Julia Linne. By 1920, Thomas Paulsen (born in Norway about 1877) and his family appear to be the primary occupants in the house. Thomas is married to Lona Paulsen (born in Norway in 1888) and Phyllis, Lester, and June are their children (1914, 1918, and 1921 respectively and all born in Washington). Thomas works in the shipyards in various roles including rigger and crane operator.
Marie Bringedahl (born in 1862 in Norway), Lona's mother, lives with the family and dies at the house in 1937 - Marie was the sister of Olaf A. Wiggen of Pheasant-Wiggen Mortuary (later Wiggen and Sons Chapel).
Thomas and his family occupy this house until about 1942 when Carl M Bringedahl (born in Michigan) appears to take over ownership of the house. Carl is the brother of Lona, and he lives in the house with his family, his wife Sibyl (Sibyl Pearl Nichols born in Washington), his daughters Evelyn (Morehead) and Gloria (Jordan), and his son Hubert. Carl and Sibyl remain in the house until at least 1973 when Carl is quoted in a Seattle Daily Times article about the postal service. Carl died in April 27 1980 and Sibyl died April 3 1980. Carl works as a machinist and laborer according to the Census from 1930 and 1940.
Robert G and Susan P Hamm have owned the house since 1982.
Polk City Directories
King County Department of Assessments
Puget Sound Regional Archives
US Census 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
Seattle Times (3/8/1973, 9/14/1949, 4/14/1937, 3/7/1928, 5/29/1980)