Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
3002 W 58th
3002 NW 58th ST
Mr. Joseph A. Fleury and Mrs. Adeline M. Fleury built this home in 1905. Mr. Fleury, born in Quebec, Canada made his way through Luddington, MI, to Seattle in 1902. Mr. Fleury was ‘a well-known shingle man’ within the lumber industry in Ballard. According to the Polk Directories, It seems that the home stayed within the Fleury family from when it was originally through 1957. When the 1910 US Census was conducted Joseph and Adeline lived in the home together with their eight children; Raymond (15), Lucile (14), Laurence (12), Beatrice (9), Yvonne (8), Lillian (6), Charles (2), and Loraine.
Polk Directory Excerpts:
1905 POLK: Fleury Joseph A, filer N Campbell, h 702 Times
1906 POLK: Fleury Edward b 702 Times
1906 POLK: Fleury Joseph A filer h 702 Times
1928 POLK: 3002 W 58th Fleury J A Su 0396
1940 POLK: 3002 W 58th Chas E Fleury clk (see also Flory and Flory)
SANBORN INSURANCE MAPS: SHEET 380
Property Card Excerpts:
PC: J.C. Nestgarth (sp) purchased home 05/28/57
PC: Elmer Hovermale purchased home 06/24/64