Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
September 24, 1919 the Department of Planning and Development issued a Side Sewer Permit
& Plat# A3901 (inspected 9/24/1919 to owner Frank Hopkin (sic) and his contractor, H.
The 1920 US Census recorded the home owner, Frank F. Hopkins, age 40, was born in Illinois in
1880. His father was born in Scotland, and his mother was born in England. Mr. Hopkins was
the proprietor of a Boilershop. In 1920 his household included his wife, Mary A. Hopkins, age
36, Nellie Fulton, age 56, and Herman F. Hopkins, age 16.
The 1923 Seattle City Directory lists Frank F. Hopkins (Mary A.) Seattle Boiler WKS h 8331 32nd
1928 to 1953 Frank F. Hopkins is listed in the 1928, 1938, 1943-44, 1951, & 1953 Polk Reverse
December 19. 1996 the home was sold by Thomas C. Ohaus and Linda Mae Kristofik to James J
Buchanan, Jr. and Sarah S McCoy
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.