Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Sewer Card, dated 1926, Owner J.B Graham.
Although it's not entirely clear who built the house, home owners by 1928 included the George B.
Graham family, quite possibly a relative of J.B. Graham. It may be of interest to note that during
the 1930's, a J.B. Graham was president of the GrahamPaige Motors Corporation, a distributor
for Seattle Packard Company.
George B. Graham was born about 1883, and had been living in Seattle at least since 1921.
Home value of 8343 during 1928 was $15,000. Census records indicate that the family owned a
George married Euretta at the age of the age of 25, and they had at least two children (Mary L.
and Robert. E.)
George had been a president of varying companies since at least 1925. By 1928 he was te
president and manager of Graham and Company Inc. (5th Fl. 617 Western Ave). During the 1930
Census his was identified as an "Importer" for "Food Stuff".
By 1941 he was Founder and President of the downtown iconic shop: Buddy Squirrel's Nut
As of 1948 his family had moved on to a new location, and he became a rep for Hamilton
1928, 1931, 1934, 1940 Directories
• Sources: Year: 1930; Census Place: Seattle, King, Washington; Roll: 2491; Page: 40A;
Enumeration District: 0001; Image: 369.0; FHL microfilm: 2342225
• Seattle Times, April 10, 1961 "Mrs. George B. Graham"
• Seattle Sunday Times, October 15, 1933 "More Grahams For October Are Planned"
• Archival photo
• Sewer Card
• Plat Map 1906
• Area Map 1919
• Area Map 1924
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.