Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
The original owner/builder of the Tudor house at 3032 NW 69th was Gunnar B. & Sigurborg
"Bertha" Thorlakson. He was a plaster contractor, which probably accounts for plaster and
stucco being used inside and out. Each room has a different plaster texture and the fireplace
surround appears to be skillfully done cast-in-place concrete simulating stone.
The Thorlakson's took out the building permit in 1929 and lived down the street at 3026 NW
69th during construction, moving into the house in 1931. They lived there until 1935. In 1936
the house was shown as owned by Prudential Insurance Co, possibly using it as a rental for that
The longest residents were John Enock & Anna E. Jones from 1937-51. He was owner of Jones
Meats at 2404 22nd NW and 224 W. 85th, and the New Deal Market at 420 N. Washington (N.
Broadway). The house passed to their son, Harold E. Jones, who was the long time owner of
Jones Brothers Meats & Grocery on 22nd NW. He lived there until 1980, making it a total of 43
years in the Jones family.
In 1981 the house was listed for sale by owner in the Seattle Times for $129,500. It was
purchased by Christopher "Bill" & Mary Tompkins who lived there until 1985. He was an
associate at Betts, Patterson & Mines law firm.
The house was listed as vacant in the 1986 Seattle Polks Directory. Succeeding residents are:
Dave & Rosalie Edgecomb (1987-93), John R. Danielson & Diane Alongi (1993-94) and Bon L. &
Valeria Bernard, the current owners.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.