Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
2046 W 62ND ST
2046 W 62D
2046 NW 62ND ST
SBSM CO - Saw Mill(?)
SCLM CO - Log Mill(?) Likely Seattle City Lumber Manufacturing Company
This house seems to have been home to a number of employees of the booming shingle mill industry in Ballard. According to the Polk Directories John Olson (1904), Clause Peterson - an Engineer of SBSM CO (1905), Axel F Engstrom of SCLM - Seattle City Lumber Manufacturing Company (1906) and John Smithburg (1907) all seemed to be part of Ballard’s local lumber industry.
J.G. Johnson was a common name in the Ballard neighborhood. It seems that Johnson may have owned multiple homes in the area and rented them to occupants over the years.
Polk Directory Excerpts:
1904 POLK: (236) POST) Olson John, lab, h 236 Post
1905 POLK: (236 POST) Peterson Clause, eng S B S M Co, h 236 Post
1906 POLK: (236 POST) Engstrom Axel F lab S C L M Co h 236 Post
1907 POLK: (236 POST) Smithburg John E lab h 236 Post
1940 POLK: (2046 W 62D) Lister Harry 2046 W 62d
Property Card Excerpts:
PC: J.G. Johnson owned home (07/03/11) (rented multiple homes in area?)
PC: Ted Thorotenson (sp?) owned home (06/13/51)
PC: Forum (foreclosure?) (10/18/69)