Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 913 NW 64TH ST NW / Parcel ID 045200-1735 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Queen Anne, Vernacular Neighborhood: Crown Hill/Ballard
Built By: Year Built: 1906

Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.

The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.

After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue.  During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.

This Queen Anne house was built in 1906, and in 1910 Delbert and William Ely lived in the house. Delbert worked as a clerk for the Chicago Milwaukee and Puget Sound Railway and William worked as

a master marine. By 1917, D. M. McGinley lived in the house and from 1930 -1951 Charles J. McGinley lived in the house. Charles was a fireman. Charles lived with his family of John, Susan, and Mary McGinley. In 1913 the Kelly family has moved into the house and appear to rent. The family includes Daniel and Mary Kelly McGinley and their adult children, Susan, John, James, Charles, and Daniel Jr. Daniel

worked for the Seattle Fire Department. Eventually Charles (Chas) also joins the fire department and

eventually serves as a Battalion Chief. John served in the Navy during World War I and became a

marine engineer. Susan is listed as the owner of the house on the King County Property Card in 1924

and in 1964. The family lived in the house until 1966. Tanya Davis and Todd Schulte have owned the house since 2000. Sources

Polk City Directories

King County Department of Assessments

Puget Sound Regional Archives

US Census 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940

Seattle Times (11/18/1939, 1/11/1965, 7/7/1966)


Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.

Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

McAlester, Virginia Savage.

A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.

Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl

Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of

Washington Press, 1994.

Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.


This bungalow shows some references to the Queen Anne style. It has a square plan with a hipped roof

with two lower front gables and a side gable facing west. The front elevation exhibits a partial porch

with classic Tuscan columns and a plain entablature on the left. Projecting bays make up the corner on

the right. Most are 1-over-1 sash windows. A single pane window flanks the entry on the left side.

Windows and doors are surrounded by classical crowns and casings. An exterior rectangular chimney is

situated on the east side elevation. The house is on a mid-street block facing north. A concrete pathway

leads to the house that is anteceded by a small lawn. A concrete driveway on the west side leads to a

detached garage on the back. Significant additions have been made on the back of the property, but are

not visible from the street.

Detail for 913 NW 64TH ST NW / Parcel ID 045200-1735 / Inv # 0

Classication: District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 913 NW 64TH ST NW / Parcel ID 045200-1735 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0