Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
SE-3 -25- 3
Single family tudor home, built in 1927.
According to the sewer card, a N.C. Johnson was the owner of this property.
As of 1928, Marinus C. Johnson resided at 6821 (possible the address was changed or typed incorrectly?).
Marinus C. Johnson and his wife, Neomie M. Johnson (or Neamie) lived at this residence in from 1928 up to at least up to 1940. Quite possible N.C. Johnson was a relative. Marinus' occupation during 1929: Clerk for the Post Office.
According to the Seattle Sunday Times, dated May 10, 1914, it appears that Marinus was an energetic part of a committee who organized Ballard High School Alumni Association Annual Dances. Another Seattle Sunday Times article identifies Johnson as being part of this same committee since at least 1912.
Now, unless this family moved considerably - there is a conflict in the directories. According to the 1928 directory they lived at 6821 34th Ave. According to the 1930 directory they lived at 6727 34th Ave. According to the 1940 directory they lived at 6827 24th Ave. More interesting, according to the 1925 directory, they lived at 6821 34th Ave. Two years before the home was built. It can be safe to assume, considering 6821 is the parcel located directly next to 6827 that they lived next to their home as it was being built, mixed in with a few typos.
• 1929 - 1940 Directories
• Seattle Sunday Times, May 10th 1914
• Seattle Daily Times, April 13th 1912
• Sewer Card
• Plat Map
• Archive Photo
• Marriage Certificate