Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1712 NW 63RD ST NW / Parcel ID 2767601120 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Crown Hill/Ballard
Built By: Year Built: 1920
 
Significance

Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.



The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.



After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue.  During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.



References

Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.



Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.



King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  



McAlester, Virginia Savage.

A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A Knopf Press, 2013.



Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl

Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of



Washington Press, 1994.

Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.





The Department of Planning and Development's Side Sewer Card lists "Permit & Plat# 14798 issued 2/18/11 inspected 3/11/11.  Owner:  Ole Bolland  Contractor:  Louis Benson."

         Polk's 1928 Reverse Directory lists I. Isaacson as owner/occupant, and the 1938 and 1940 Directories name the occupants as Isaac Isaacson (owner) and Robley E. Bremer.

    The October 18, 1936 edition of the Seattle Times announces:  "Marriage License - James E. Felder, 32, 1712 W 63rd ST (and) Marjorie M. Probstfeld, 25, 123 W Bertona ST'

    John M Leggett appears as the owner/occupant in the 1943-1944 Polk Reverse Directory.  

    In the April 11, 1947 edition of The Seattle Times, 19 year old choir singer, John Leggett, Jr. of 1712 W 63rd ST, routed a burglar from the Ballard Baptist Church and chased him for several blocks.

    The Vital Statistics page of the December 12, 1952 Seattle Times includes "Swedish Hospital Born Yesterday to Mr. and Mrs. John M. Leggett 1712 W 63rd ST Boy."

    The 1959 Polk Reverse Directory lists occupants John M. Leggett (owner), and his wife, Rena L.

    By 1965, the Directory lists Rena L. Leggett (widow of John M.) as the owner/occupant.

    June 8, 2000 Richard R. Rice and Suzanne E. Davis sold the home to Laurence A. Walters and Kimberly T. Lopez.

    March 27, 2003 The home is sold by Laurence A. Walters and Kimberly T. Lopez to Thaddeus C. George and Erin Eason.
 
Appearance
Constructed in 1920, this 1.5 story single-family house is square in plan, sits on a concrete foundation, is clad with horizontal wood and stucco veneer, and has an asphalt clad front-gabled roof with overhanging eaves, exposed rafters, knee braces, verge boards, and decorative bracing beneath the gable peaks. The front façade includes a full façade porch with inlaid wood piers and closed rails. The stairs have been replaced. The entry door is asymmetrically placed on the front façade, and varying multi-paned windows are located on this facade. Windows are typically one-over- one double hung wood sash and smaller multi-fixed pane windows. On the second story of the front façade, windows have been replaced. Prominent gabled dormers dominate the side facades. This house has been somewhat altered, but still retains most aspects of integrity.

Detail for 1712 NW 63RD ST NW / Parcel ID 2767601120 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco, Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Square
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s):
Integrity
: Slight
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 1712 NW 63RD ST NW / Parcel ID 2767601120 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016
App v2.0.1.0