Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
The 1920 US Census lists Nels Eskberg (Nele Eskberg) (Nels Eckberg) (N. H. Eskeberg) Age 53, a carpenter, and owner/occupant of this 1918 Craftsman. Nels Eskberg was born in Denmark to Danish parents. He immigrated to the US in 1891 and became a Naturalized American. He owned his home, free of mortgage. In 1920, Nels family included wife Lena (Lillian), 45, and children Blanch 19, Reuben H. 17, and June R. 14. The following ad appeared in the 9/15/1919 Seattle Times: "FOR SALE - By owner, three, six, and seven room houses, two blocks from school, one block to paved street, one block to car line, view overlooking Sound. Phone Ballard 2424. Write 3404 W 68th ST.".
The 1923 Seattle City Directory has the house occupied by Danl. W. Guiles, his wife Elvira A., and Mrs. Frances M. Guiles. Mr. Guiles was a Bookkeeper at Motor Mill Co.
February 23, 1927 a Sewer Permit & Plat# B-17260 was issued (inspected 3/14/27) to owner N. H. Eskeberg (sp?) and contractor Paul Massa.
The 1938 Polk Reverse Directory lists Danl. W. Guiles in the residence. So, do you think you know your Seahawks history? The following appeared in the November 8, 1933 edition of The Seattle Times: "It's Seahawks. It took two seasons for a tribunal of Seattle sports writers to reach a decision, but out of more than a thousand suggestions, they finally set on "Seahawks" as the official nickname of the Seattle hockey club. The name was suggested by two fans, T. D. Murray of 356 Wheeler St., and James B. Guiles, 3404 W 68th ST. Both will get a pair of season tickets.". James name appears again in the Times on November 23, 1937: Marriage License James B. Guiles, 24, 3404 W 68th ST (and) Marianne E. Carriveau, 21, 941 W 62nd ST.
On May 21, 1939 the Seattle Times announced: Marriage License Kenneth B. DeRango, Jr., 23, Seattle (and) Lillian M. Jones, 19, 3404 W 68th ST.
The Polk Directories name Gunnar A. Fredrickson as the home's owner/occupant from 1943 to 1953. The 1959 Directory lists Gunnar's occupation as "Heater Isaacson Iron" and includes his spouse, Nancy C.
On July 8, 1998 the home was sold by Nancy C. Fredrickson to Peter L. Sheetz.