Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
This Craftsman type house was built in 1912 in the Burnett Sub division of Seattle on lots 35-36 and part of 34 in Section 5 for owner Mr. Sumarlidalson by contractor Paul Peterson. Its address at the time was 7104 NW 28th.
Since at least 1907, the local Streetcar transportation system through Ballard (now Seattle) ran west along 67th Ave NW turning North onto 28th NW which would have run directly in front of their house for easy access to Ballard business and links to downtown Seattle.
With Daniel Webster Elementary school just blocks away, this property and home would be highly desirable for raising a young family.
As per the 1920 Census, its address may have been changed to 7106 and two families lived there. In the front was part owner Kate Zeldensust with no husband, her five daughters and one son, along with two boarders. In the back were the other part owners Mr. Grobschimt and his wife and one son.
From the 1930 through the 1940 censuses show Karl Frederick as owner and his family consisted of his wife Mary/Marie, two sons and a daughter. Mr. Frederick, was born in North Dakota and was employed as a Superintendent of a Fish Cannery. As of 1940 MR. Frederick was a bookkeeper for State Garage.
Other owners were Burt Claire Miller and Bulla (Glades) Miller then ending with Steve and Jennifer Nagel, the current owners.
Seattle Platte 1909
Census 1920, 1930, 1940
King Co property record (2016)
Quit Claim Deed 1995 Bulla Miller