||EMANUEL METHODIST CHURCH
||KADAMPA MEDITATION CENTER WASHINGTON
Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
This large wood structure at the corner of 24th Ave NW and NW 67th St currently houses the Kadampa
Meditation Center, owned by the Vajralama Buddhist Center, and is appropriately ornamented with
gold-painted carvings including a Dharma Wheel, and lots of stained glass. It also fittingly has gone
through more than one reincarnation in its time on earth, in which the use of the building completely
changed, and has borne 3 or 4 different addresses, including one on 67th.
The original Side Sewer Card #2960, dated 6/16/20, shows the large corner building as 6538 24th, and
lists it as Eman[uel] M.E. Church. The 1940 Seattle City Directory lists the Emanuel Methodist Church at
6558 24th NW, although this could be a typo. But the other Side Sewer Card #4585, dated 12/8/52,
shows what is evidently the same building, with a slightly different footprint, as 2317 NW 67th St,
owned by C E Christianson. It had evidently been converted to one or more apartments, as there are
Seattle Times items that show 2317 as some peoples' home address, as well as a classified apartment
ad. Sometime between 1977 and 2003 it was converted back to religious use, and to 6556 24th Ave NW.
It was the Emerald Chapel when bought by the Buddhists in 2003. It's worth noting that the Seattle City
Directories for 1928, 1931, 1934, & 1940 list several different Reverends at 2363 67th, immediately to
the east, so that address was likely the Emanuel Church's parsonage.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.
Side Sewer Card #2960 dated 5/16/20: Eman M E Church, address 6538 Seattle City Directories for 1928,
1931, 1934, 1940 (parsonage @ 2363 67th) 1940 Seattle City Directory Emanuel Methodist Church at
Side Sewer Card #4585, dated 12/8/52, 2317 NW 67th St, owned by C E Christianson
Seattle Times (ST) 9/15/69 p55 item naming Craig Christianson, 22, of 2317 NW 67th St , in car accident
ST 6/19/70 p37 notice of intent to wed for Craig A Christianson, 23, 2317 NW 67th St
ST 7/30/73 p42 death notice for Gladys B Langaker age 64, of 2317 NW 67th St
ST 6/6/74 p47 notice of intent to wed for Gunnar Langaker (Gladys's widower), of 2317 NW 67th St
ST 9/4/77 p90 apartments classified ad for 2317 NW 67th St -- "Deluxe 3 bdrm exec type unit, 2 baths …
fireplace" King County Assessor website says property was sold 5/14/90 for $61,500 by Allan Kessler to
Douglas J Rogers ST 1/25/03 B4 in Religious News, reference to "Emerald Chapel" at 6556 24th Ave NW
King County Assessor website says 6556 was sold 11/6/03 for $1.3 million by Douglas J Rogers to
Vajralama Buddhist Center ST 10/20/04 pB1 in Religious News, for Vajralama Buddhist Center, a
reference to "last year's acquisition of the property"
Constructed in 1920, this building houses the Kadampa Meditation Center. This
building is two stories, sits on a concrete foundation, is clad with horizontal wood siding, and has an
asphalt-clad roof with a gabled center bay flanked by flat roofed turrets. The double-door entry is
centered on the front façade, sheltered by a wide shed asphalt clad shed roof supported by wood knee
braces. Decorative stained glass windows and applied art and signs are evident along the front façade,
and do not appear original to the building.