Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Department of Planning and Development Side Sewer Permit & Plat# A-2931 issued 5/7/19
(inspected 5/24/19) to owner, J. Milos (sic) and contractor Oscar Grohon.
1923-1953 owner/occupant J. C. or Jas C Miles, according to 1923 City Directory, Polk
Directories 1928, 1938, 1943-44, 1951, & 1953
The Polk Directory lists "Jas E. Miles (possibly a typo?) plant worker at the Carnation Co.
August 27, 2004 C. Michael & Joanne D Hoskins sold the home to Jeniffer Stetler
August 31, 2004 Anthony E Stetler recorded a Quit Claim Deed to Jeniffer Stetler as a Property
November 22, 2005 Jeniffer M Stetler recorded a Quit Claim Deed to Anthony E Stetler as a
February 19, 2015 Anthony E Stetler sold the home to Robert Lee Carlisle
March 23, 2015 Darby Jo Carlisle recorded a Quit Claim Deed to Robert L. Carlisle as a Property
Settlement, followed the same day as a Quit Claim Deed from Robert L Carlisle to 7353 15th LLC
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.