Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 7205 28TH AVE / Parcel ID 2872101356 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: American Foursquare - Craftsman Neighborhood: Crown Hill/Ballard
Built By: Year Built: 1907

Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.

The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.

After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue.  During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood. 

This craftsman home was built in 1907 according to King County records. From 1910-1920, Frank and Edna Waskey owned the house and lived there with their children - John and Robert. Frank worked as a gold miner. In 1910, the family shared the house with a young woman Martha Haugen who is listed as a servant. By 1920, Frank had passed away and Edna remained in the house with the teenage John and Robert. Edna's aunt, Mary Skinner, had joined the household.

Robert Waskey became a radio operator and in 1926, he joined a team of mushers in Alaska tasked with carrying supplies to the crashed Detroit Arctic Expedition of under command of Capt. George Hubert Wilkins. Waskey operated the radio and relayed messages. The overland team reached Capt. Wilkins on May 1, 1926. 

By 1930, Edna had married Ralph Newcomb, a master and pilot of sternwheelers in Alaska. His first post as a master was in 1921 when he served on the Tanana which carried freight on Tanana River between Tanana and Fairbanks. After serving as a master mariner, he worked as a watchman on the waterfront. Ralph lived in the house until 1942. 

From 1950-1970, John and Lillie Deer owned the house. John worked as a farmer and railroad employee before his retirement. They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in the house in 1963. 
This large 1-1/2 story Craftsman has a low pitch hipped roof with wide unenclosed eaves overhang that create a wide wrap-around receded porch. Square columns with decorative braces support the roof over the porch.  Hipped dormers on each slope house grouped windows, five on the front elevation and three on the back and lateral dormers. Two interior brick chimneys rise above the rooftop. Door is situated on the center of the symmetrical front elevation flanked by rectangular windows on each side.  To the right and left is a set of a wider fixed in between 1-over-1 windows. Six-over-one and fixed windows make the rest of the openings. Cladding is made of coursed wood shingles. House sits above the street on a corner lot facing east. A stone retention wall surrounds the lot, and concrete stairs on the center lead to the house. Important additions visible from the side street include a covered two car garage on the back of the house with a wood deck and a pergola on top.

Detail for 7205 28TH AVE / Parcel ID 2872101356 / Inv # 0

Classication: District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan:
Structural System: No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 7205 28TH AVE / Parcel ID 2872101356 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016
App v2.0.1.0