Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
Unfortunately the address for this home is missing from the Department of Planning and Development's Side Sewer Card.
From 1938 to 1940, Martin S. Vevang is listed as the owner/occupant in the Polk Reverse Directories.
1943-1944 the owner/occupant is Erling Johansen.
The Directory shows the home as vacant in 1951.
In Polk's 1953 Directory the owner/occupant is Reuben T. Jacobsen.
On March 10, 1997 Scott A. Michell and Rita B sell the home to Tammie L. Fehn.
November 21, 2001 the home is sold by Tammie L. Fehn to Cynthia A. Krueger, followed 3 days later by the filing of a Quit Claim Deed from Jeffery T. Krueger to Cynthia A. Krueger as a Property Settlement.