Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.
The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.
After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue. During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.
The brick Tudor house at 8042 11th Avenue NW was build in 1928. The 1930 side sewer card
lists J. Gustafson as owner. He could have been the original owner or a contractor.
This lovely home has had at least nine owners in its 88 years, the gaps in the record (1928-38
and 1945-52) could make room for one or two more owners. The Seattle Polks Directory
doesn't show a resident at this address until 1939 -- Erle H. & Florence Smith. He was a cashier
with DW & Co. Early owners as listed in the Seattle Polks Directory are: Douglas J. & Winona
Ludemo (1953-58) assistant manager for Metropolitan Life Insurance; John E. & Alice George
(1959-75) cargo manager for Pacific NW Airlines; Maurice L. & Bridget Roller (1979-80)
consultant for Haskins & Sells; Gordon & Roberta Campbell (1981-85) he was a lawyer for City
of Seattle; Roberta (Goodnow), an Everett city planner, owned the house from 1987-90. After
1990, the ownership record is via the King County real estate records. In 1990 Roberta sold the
house to Lynn Steinberg & Ellils E. Conklin (1990-2007). In 2007 the house apparently changed
hands twice, from Lynn & Ellis to Jonathan D. & Alice Orr (for 9 months) before landing in the
hands of Sam & Kimberly C. Baker, the current owners.
Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.
Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History. HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.
King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.
McAlester, Virginia Savage.
A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.
Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl
Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of
Washington Press, 1994.
Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.