Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 7748 33RD AVE / Parcel ID 0472000230 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Tudor Neighborhood: Crown Hill/Ballard
Built By: Year Built: 1929

Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.

The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.

After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue.  During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.


Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.

Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

McAlester, Virginia Savage.

A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.

Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl

Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of

Washington Press, 1994.

Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.

This house is in a cluster of 1.5 story brick homes built in 1929 as part of the Ballard Waterfront Addition. Per the Side Sewer card, the B & M Land Company owned the property and the contractor was L. Reccheo (who also built 7740 and 7744 33 rd Ave NW).

In 1931 Stephen Nogleberg was living the home. From at least 1934 to 1944, Paul A and Bernice F Pearson were residing there. Mr. Pearson was a manager with Foss Launch & Tug Company (now Foss Maritime Company). It was offered for sale in 1946 and Wallace G and Rose M Walters, owners of Bud Walter’s Market (an I.G.A. grocery at 39th and 24th NW) moved in.

By 1955 and through at least 1957, Clifford A and Phyllis A Peterson were the new owners. Mr. Peterson was a department manager at Sparkman & McLean. The house changed ownership again by 1960 to Donald W Grobe, an electrician, and then to Erroll R McCord in 1961. The house has continued to change hands regularly since.

Interestingly, the house was listed as a residential polling place for the 1970 special election.


Side Sewer Cards

1940 Census

Seattle Daily Times

Seattle City Directories 1931, 1934, 1938, 1940, 1948/49, 1955 and 1964

King County Assessor’s Database
Constructed in 1929, this 1.5 story Tudor Revival-style single-family house is largely rectangular in plan, sits on a concrete foundation, is clad with brick veneer with clinker brick detailing, and features an asphalt-clad side-gabled roof with a large front clipped gabled wing. The front façade includes a recessed entry on the north end of the front façade, with the front door perpendicular to the front wall. The main body of the front façade includes a large single-light arched window, flanked by smaller multi-light arched windows with a flower petal detail. These windows are situated above an attached single-car garage. On the second story, below the clipped gable, is a pair of six-light leaded glass casement windows. A small wood-clad shed roof dormer with a single-light window flanked by six-light leaded glass casement windows is also visible. A large chimney dominates is on the south façade, with another pair of leaded casement windows to the right. This house has been altered very little and retains most aspects of integrity.

Detail for 7748 33RD AVE / Parcel ID 0472000230 / Inv # 0

Classication: District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Other Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
: Slight
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 7748 33RD AVE / Parcel ID 0472000230 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0