Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2845 NW 64TH ST NW / Parcel ID 755080-0415 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Common Name:
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: Crown Hill/Ballard
Built By: Year Built: 1900

Residential Ballard is generally described as extending from the 8th Avenue NW to the east and the bluff to the west, and from NW 85th Street on the north to NW 65th Street to the south. The area primarily contains single family houses, but also includes a collection of mutli-family dwellings, commercial buildings, schools, churches, and other buildings. Most of the historic buildings in Ballard are modest cottages and builder's houses, and were not architect-designed. Building styles include, but are not limited to, Victorian (primarily Queen Anne), vernacular, Craftsman, American Foursquare, Colonial Revival (including variations), Tudor Revival, Minimal Traditional, and Ranch. The historic building fabric of Ballard is threatened by a rapid pace of development.

The City of Ballard was incorporated in 1890. It was the first community to incorporate after Washington achieved statehood in 1889. Although population increased rapidly, north Ballard was still relatively rural. In 1907, primarily due to lack of adequate water for its population of 15,000, Ballard citizens voted to be annexed to Seattle to ensure a good water supply for the area.

After annexation Ballard’s street names were changed to conform to Seattle’s: Ship Street turned into 65th Street, Main Street became 15th Avenue.  During the Great Depression and World War II, construction in Ballard nearly ground to a halt, with the exception of some houses built by Earl F. Mench. However, following World War II, fueled by the G.I. bill and the rise of the automobile, Ballard boomed again, and new housing followed. In recent years, the demand for new housing has spurred a tremendous amount of change in Ballard, with old, modest houses being replaced by large box houses and multi-family units. These changes threaten to alter the character and feeling of this historic neighborhood.


According to the online King County Assessor’s Report and the Property Record Card, this house was

built in 1900 or 1904, respectively. It is located in the Sanders Addition to Gilman Park & Salmon Bay

(1888), Block 4, Lot 4.

The house was built on North St. [now 64th] between 6th [now 28th] and 7th [now 30th], and the first known

residents were Stanley C. Boom (1845–1911), a teacher from New York and member of St. John’s Lodge

No. 9, Free and Accepted Masons, and his wife Hester P.  They bought the property in 1904 from Dexter

Horton & Co., and first appear in the 1906 and 1907 Ballard City Directories. The address at that time

was 635 North. They continue to live in the home until about 1910, and Stanley died at Newcastle in


The Booms sold the property to William H. Purdy, a salesman for S. A. Woods Machine Co. and foreman,

and his wife Grace/Gracie G. by 1911. They lived in the home briefly and sold it to Lizzie A. Cole in 1913.

Interestingly, the sale to Cole included Lot 23, which was directly behind Lot 4, extending the property

from 64th St. to 63rd St.

Lizzie/Elizabeth Anne (Baker) Cole (1862–1949), and her husband James A. Cole (1855–1934), a cook,

lived in the home from 1913 through 1934, the year James died. Lizzie continued living in the home until

her death in 1949. The two were married in Wisconsin in 1890, moved to Montana, and soon after came

to Seattle in the 1890s. Following Lizzie’s death, the property changed hands several times with at least

seven different owners and occupants by 1977.

Thomas L. and Ellen K. Bliesath bought the property from Robert E. and Patricia A. Quackenbush in 1977.

In 1981, they advertised the home for sale several times, and described it as a Ballard Charmer and an

immaculate starter home with Victorian flair, including room enough for guests or baby, two bedrooms,

wall to wall carpet, sunny kitchen, fireplace, five appliances, and a fenced yard.  And all that on “Good

Terms”. In 1985, the home was finally sold to Robin S. and Jana L. Balliet (from 1985–1999).

Subsequent owners include: Jana L. Balliet (from 1999–2009); Elizabeth Rogers Blinks (from 2009–2011);

and Cara P. Machacek, the current owner, as of May 2016 (from 2011).


Ballard Historical Society Classic Home Tour guides.

Crowley, Walt. Seattle Neighborhoods: Ballard--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 983, accessed 6/1/16.

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

McAlester, Virginia Savage.

A Field Guide to American Houses (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Alfred A> Knopf Press, 2013.

Oschsner, Jeffrey Karl

Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects. Seattle, WA: University of

Washington Press, 1994.

Passport to Ballard: The Centennial Story. Seattle, WA: Ballard News Tribune, 1988.

Sources Historical Summary:

Cole’s Seattle Directories. 2005 - 2015.

Polk’s Seattle City Directories. 1900 – 1994.

King County Department of Assessments (2016).,

accessed 5/31/2016.

King County Plat Maps, King County Recorder's Office.

accessed 5/31/2016.


Mapping Historic Ballard: Shingletown to Tomorrow

King County Property Record Card.  Washington State Archives. Puget Sound Regional Branch.

King County Recorder’s Office (2016).

office.aspx accessed 5/31/2016.

Sanborn Map Company (Sanborn)

1905 Seattle, Washington 1904-1905. Sanborn Map Company, Seattle, Washington. Electronic

document,, accessed May 31, 2016.

1917 Seattle, Washington 1917. Sanborn Map Company, Seattle, Washington. Electronic

document,, accessed May 31, 2016.

The Seattle Daily Times

Ballard Open 2-4, November 22, 1981, pg. 75.

Coles Celebrating Golden Anniversary, March 12, 1930, pg. 3.

Funerals. James A. Cole, November 4, 1934, pg. 12.

Homes General, March 16, 1967, pg. 47.

Homes General, December 21, 1967, pg. 46.

Homes General, August 15, 1981, pg. 55.

Homes General, November 8, 1981, pg. 60.

Mrs. James A. Cole obituary, March 12, 1949, pg. 4.

Washington Birth, Marriage, and Death Indexes. Electronic document via Ancestry Library Edition,, accessed 5/2016.

United States Federal Census. 1880–1940. Electronic document via HeritageQuest Online,, accessed 5/2016.

Washington, County Land Records, 1850-1954. King County Deed and Mortgage Indexes., accessed 5/31/2016.

This ca. 1900 Cottage is one story and has a hip roof clad in asphalt shingles. Several

gables project off of the hip roof, one on the front façade and one on the left side. A large

dormer is located on the right side. The front-facing gable end has eave returns. The front

door is slightly off-center on the front façade and has a one-over-one light window on

one side and a multi-pane arched window on the other side. The front door is reached by

a set of stairs. A chimney is located centrally on the roof.

Detail for 2845 NW 64TH ST NW / Parcel ID 755080-0415 / Inv # 0

Classication: District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s):
: Slight
Major Bibliographic References

Photo collection for 2845 NW 64TH ST NW / Parcel ID 755080-0415 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016

Photo taken Feb 01, 2016

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900
App v2.0.1.0