Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4528 44TH AVE / Parcel ID 338990-0195 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Apartments Common Name: Apartments
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1952
 
Significance

This eight-unit apartment building was constructed in 1952, reflecting the modern apartment building form with exterior walkways and individual entries rather than interior hallways and stairs. It is largely intact but is slated to be replaced by new building.  

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.


 

 

 
Appearance
This two-story wood frame apartment building has a gabled roof with a wide overhang on the south side that shelters the walkway outside the second story apartments.  Cladding is Roman brick with wide clapboard in the gable ends.  At each end is an open concrete stairway with an original decorative metal railing that continues along the upper concrete walkway, which is supported by round metal posts. At the east end is a one-story brick-clad utility room.  Windows are primarily large aluminum metal frame picture windows in the front and one-over-one windows on the rear and sides.

 

Detail for 4528 44TH AVE / Parcel ID 338990-0195 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status: INV
Cladding(s): Brick - Roman, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Multiple Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Windows: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.

Photo collection for 4528 44TH AVE / Parcel ID 338990-0195 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Feb 27, 2015
App v2.0.1.0