Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4750 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 757920-0105 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Apollo Theater/Carlile Furniture Common Name: Bang Bar/Kathy's Dance
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1910

This structure currently houses three businesses, including Kathy's Dance Studio in the rear. It was built in 1910 but has been altered numerous times. In the 1920s, it was the Apollo Theater. Carlisle Furniture, was here from the 1930s into the 1980s. The corner tavern has new stone cladding, while the adjoining bar has a new façade with metal cladding.

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.




This corner building has three distinctively different storefronts. At the corner is a pub, with a recessed entry, cultured stone cladding, large display windows, a fabric awning and clapboard cladding on the side. The section behind this, on the alley, is the most intact; it has brick cladding, a recessed entry with concrete steps and, on the rear, four small metal-sash divided light windows.  North of the pub is another bar with a very modern façade of corrugated metal and large display windows.

Detail for 4750 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 757920-0105 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Metal, Stone - Cast, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Recreation and Culture - Theater Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Commerce, Entertainment/Recreation
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Storefront: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4750 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 757920-0105 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Apr 26, 2015

Photo taken Apr 26, 2015

Photo taken Apr 26, 2015
App v2.0.1.0