Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4435 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 790470-0106 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Van Gilder's Furniture Common Name: Seattle Fish Company/Ma'ono
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1941
 
Significance

This building, constructed in 1941, is associated with world War II-era development of the West Seattle Junction business district. It has been altered with newer aluminum sash and tile cladding.  Furniture stores have been its primary tenants; Van Gilder's Furniture was here from the 1940s to 1964, and Perry's Furniture until 1970. It has been completely remodeled to house two restaurants.

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.

 
Appearance

This one-story concrete-block building has two storefronts with large display windows sheltered by suspended wood canopies. The northern restaurant has wood sash, while the other has newer aluminum sash. Cladding above the canopies is stucco, with newer ceramic tile below the windows.

Detail for 4435 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 790470-0106 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Ceramic tile, Concrete - Block, Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Specialty store Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Concrete - Block No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Commerce
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Storefront: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4435 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 790470-0106 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 10, 2016
App v2.0.1.0