Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 4401 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 790470-0090 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Dr. Albert Knutson Common Name: Bill Raleigh, DDS
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1918

This building, constructed in 1918, is associated with early development of the West Seattle Junction business district. This Craftsman bungalow appears to have been in commercial use for many years. It is currently a dentist's office, and was also a doctor’s office in the 1020s-30s. It has been altered with newer vinyl windows.

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.




This Craftsman bungalow has clapboard cladding and a hipped roof with a projecting front gabled porch and two large gabled dormers on the north side. All the gables have prominent brackets, carved bargeboards and coursed shingle cladding. The south elevation has two small additions. All the windows have newer vinyl sash.

Detail for 4401 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 790470-0090 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition-Shingle
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture, Commerce, Health/Medicine
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4401 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 790470-0090 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 10, 2016
App v2.0.1.0