Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4426 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 095200-6190 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Read Printing Company Common Name: West Seattle Eagles Lodge
Style: Vernacular Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1925
 
Significance
The West Seattle chapter of the Fraternal Order of Eagles began renting a 1925 building at this location in 1947, the year the chapter was chartered. The current building was put together over the years by combining several structures and constructing rear additions in the 1960s and 1992.The building is associated with early development of the West Seattle Junction business district, but has stronger association with post-World War II development and the social activities of the community. 

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.

















 

 
Appearance

This building has a two-story false-front main façade with no windows and an entry, sheltered by a flat roof, at the southwest corner. A walkway with a corrugated fiberglass roof leads to the rear additions, which consist of various combined structures with flat and shed roofs. Cladding is primarily clapboard with T1-11 and CMU on the rear. There is a secondary entry at the rear, but no visible windows.

Detail for 4426 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 095200-6190 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status: INV, INV, INV, INV, INV, INV, INV, INV, INV, INV, INV, INV, INV, INV
Cladding(s): Concrete - Block, Wood - Clapboard, Wood - T1-11 Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet, Shed Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Specialty store Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Social Movements & Organizations
Integrity
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Plan: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk’s Seattle Directories 1920-1926

Photo collection for 4426 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 095200-6190 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 10, 2016
App v2.0.1.0