Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4719 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 149530-0040 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: West Hill Market Common Name: Taqueria Guaymas
Style: Spanish - Eclectic Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1918
 
Significance

This small building, constructed in 1918, is one of the Junction's older structures, but has been altered many times. It is associated with development of the West Seattle Junction business district. The building has a wide variety of food markets from at least 1928 until the 1980s. In 1937 it housed a small produce store, the West Hill Market, which had large doors opening up to the sidewall so those passing by could see the produce. At the rear, the structure was two stories with a machine shop on the lower level. It currently has a Mexican restaurant, with a modern façade and a decorative red tile roof.

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.

 

 

 
Appearance

This stucco-clad single-story wood-frame building has a modern glass-and metal façade with double doors beneath a pent roof clad with red clay barrel tiles. The rear has another entry with a tile roof and a concrete ramp and a small loading dock with double doors.

Detail for 4719 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 149530-0040 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Clay Tile
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Specialty store Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Commerce
Integrity
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Storefront: Extensive
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4719 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 149530-0040 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Apr 26, 2015
App v2.0.1.0