Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4747 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 149530-0100 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Junction Feed & Seed Common Name: Bikram Yoga
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1956
 
Significance
This building, constructed in 1956, is associated with post-World War II-era development in the West Seattle Junction business district. This structure housed one of the Junction's oldest businesses, Junction Feed 'n' Seed, which had been in this location at least since 1938. It was remodeled with a modern façade and metal cladding on the rear when it became a yoga studio.  

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.
 
Appearance
This one-story masonry building has a recessed main façade, with the side walls extending several feet from the façade.  The entry is at the center, with glazed double doors. Flanking the entry are large display windows with concrete below. The rear façade, facing the parking lot, has a recessed entry, newer corrugated metal cladding and two original glass block windows.

Detail for 4747 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 149530-0100 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Concrete Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Specialty store Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Concrete - Poured No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Commerce
Integrity
Storefront: Extensive
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Plan: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4747 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 149530-0100 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Nov 11, 2015
App v2.0.1.0