Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4200 SW EDMUNDS ST SW / Parcel ID 757920-0120 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Bank Common Name: U.S. Bank
Style: Modern - Contemporary Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1956
 
Significance
This highly-altered 1965 building is associated with midcentury development in the West Seattle Junction business district. It has been altered with newer aluminum sash and tile cladding.  This wood-frame bank was built in 1956, an early example of the auto-oriented banks constructed in most Seattle neighborhood commercial districts. It was dramatically modernized in 1995 with a new entry, synthetic cladding and new windows.

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.

 

 
Appearance
This wood-frame building was dramatically modernized in 1995 with a new entry, synthetic cladding and new windows. It sits on a sloping corner site, with the large Post-Modern gabled entry toward the west end, with aluminum-framed doors and large windows. Three aluminum-framed divided light windows are toward the east end. At the west end is a long bridge structure sheltering above the drive-through window and ATMs.  Cladding is synthetic stucco.

Detail for 4200 SW EDMUNDS ST SW / Parcel ID 757920-0120 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Stucco Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Financial Institution Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Commerce
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.

Photo collection for 4200 SW EDMUNDS ST SW / Parcel ID 757920-0120 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Nov 11, 2015
App v2.0.1.0