Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4513 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 338990-0025 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Washington State Liquor Store Common Name: Vain/Beer Junction
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1935

This one-story commercial building, constructed in 1935, is one of the few buildings in the West Seattle Junction business district that was constructed during the Depression. It was built as a Washington State Liquor Store after Prohibition ended; it now contains a hair salon, a bar and a beer store. It was altered in 1969 with new windows and a flagstone façade, but that material has been removed and the façade has been modernized with new windows and metal cladding

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.



This one-story brick masonry building has two deeply recessed entries and a modern façade with large metal-sash display windows and stucco cladding. Above the windows is ribbed metal cladding. The rear façade, facing a parking lot, has stucco cladding and two recessed entries; one appears to have originally been a loading dock, and has a glass door with sidelights and a small section of clapboard above the doorway.

Detail for 4513 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 338990-0025 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Metal, Stucco, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Flat with Parapet Roof Material(s): Unknown
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Specialty store Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Masonry - Unreinforced No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Commerce
Changes to Plan: Intact
Storefront: Extensive
Changes to Original Cladding: Extensive
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4513 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 338990-0025 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Mar 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0