Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 4722 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 757920-0045 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Dr. Scott, DDS Common Name: Peter Yi, DDS
Style: Commercial Neighborhood: West Seattle Junction
Built By: Year Built: 1943
 
Significance
This building, constructed in 1943, is associated with World War II-era development of the West Seattle Junction business district. It seems to have been a dental office since it was built. It originally had a side gable roof with a Colonial-style entry and a large divided light window. has been altered with new windows and roofing.  

The Junction, West Seattle's primary commercial district, acquired its name in 1907 when a new street car line on California Avenue SW was extended south to Fauntleroy Park, crossing the Admiral streetcar line at SW Alaska Street. West Seattle, incorporated as a city in 1902, had built the Admiral line--the nation’s first municipally-owned streetcar line. At first, the Junction was just a swamp with a few real estate offices, but in 1907 West Seattle voted to be annexed to Seattle. Enhanced transportation and new amenities, accompanied by heavy promotion, encouraged a real estate boom, with new residents rapidly buying lots and building homes. Jefferson School opened in 1912, and had to be expanded in 1917. The 1920s brought significant growth, with major stores such as Ernst Hardware, Bartell Drugs, a J. C. Penney department store and two "five and dimes"--Woolworth's and Kress. Although development slowed during the Depression, the proximity of defense industries brought many new residents during World War II.  The Junction thrived into the 1950s with several modern retail buildings and larger stores. By the 1980s, however, competition from shopping malls made the Junction's stores less competitive. J.C. Penney left in 1987 and many other retailers selling common items such as clothing closed, generally replaced by restaurants, bars and service businesses. In 1985, a large retail/office/residential project was built on the former site of Jefferson Elementary School. In the early 1990s, the City of Seattle adopted a comprehensive plan that focused growth in "urban villages," including the Junction. By 2010, numerous single-story buildings were being replaced by six-story mixed-use structures with underground parking, significantly changing the district’s character.

















 

 
Appearance

This small wood-frame structure has brick cladding and a picture window on the front façade, with a new entry.  This part of the structure has a metal-clad side gable roof. Along the south side of the building is a CMU wall constructed as part of the adjoining large building; above this is a small section of clapboard cladding.  The rear of the building has clapboard cladding, a flat roof and newer vinyl windows.

Detail for 4722 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 757920-0045 / Inv # 0

Status: No - Altered
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s):
Roof Type(s): Flat, Gable Roof Material(s): Metal - Standing Seam
Building Type: Commercial/Trade - Professional Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Health/Medicine
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Extensive
Changes to Original Cladding: Slight
Major Bibliographic References
West Seattle Herald. West Side Story, 1987.
King County Property Record Card (c. 1938-1972), Washington State Archives.
Polk's Seattle Directories, 1890-1996.

Photo collection for 4722 CALIFORNIA AVE / Parcel ID 757920-0045 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Nov 11, 2015
App v2.0.1.0