Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2202 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200315 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Delfel Residence Common Name: 15 Sawyer Residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1913
 
Significance
This residence is a good and intact example of the Craftsman style. Built in 1913, it is associated with early development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. William & Ida Delfel owned this house from  1928 through 1948.The home was owned by Fred N. & Phyllis Burgess in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This one-and-half story bungalow has a rectangular plan, a front-gable roof with deep eaves, bargeboards, exposed rafter tails and brackets. Cladding is primarily clapboard with shingled gables and dormer walls. The full width porch under the front gable has brick hip-wall and piers, with tapered posts. Window groups of 6/1 flanked by 4/1 sashes are on either side of the wood Craftsman door, which has three staggered vertical lights. Windows in the gable above are a group of three- 4/1 sash in wide wood surround with an awning. Shed dormers on the east and west elevations have similar windows; others single or paired one-over-one sash; a group of four divided light piano windows are on the east elevation. Rectangular bays are below the shed dormers and a brick chimney pierces the eaves on the west elevation. The house is on a relatively flat corner lot surrounded by a wood privacy fence.

Detail for 2202 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200315 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2202 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200315 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0