Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 2411 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200-865 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Langabeer Residence Common Name: 24 Beadie Residence
Style: Colonial - Colonial Revival, Vernacular Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
This house has been altered with the addition of a prominent full-width dormer on the main facade. This has changed the character of the house and it is not a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners, in 1928, were Frederick E. Langabeer, an auditor, and his wife, Jean. It was owned from at least 1938 through 1948 by Richard S. Hart, a boiler inspector at Maryland Casualty Company, and his wife, Elizabeth. Owners in 1958 were H. Wallace and Clara Ramsden.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-half story rectangular house has a side gable roof with returns and clapboard cladding. A  pedimented projecting bay on the right of the façade has modillions in the returns and a pedimented dormer addition is across the front roof slope. On the left of the façade is a concrete porch with metal railings under the extended eaves with carved bracket supports. The entry is a French door and is flanked by wide sidelights with a patterned light in the upper half. Similar paired wood sash are in the front bay to the right and 2 patterned single light sashes are in the dormer. Other windows are similar. A prominent brick chimney pierces the eaves on the east elevation. The sloped lot is densely landscaped with groundcovers, trees and shrubs. A driveway on the west leads to a detached garage (1934).

Detail for 2411 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200-865 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Moderate
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2411 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200-865 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0