Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 2219 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200765 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: McMeekin Residence Common Name: 23 Shearer residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1910
 
Significance
This large Craftsman style residence is intact and a good example of the style.  Built in 1910, it is associated with early development in the Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. The earliest known owners of this house were William G. & Barbara McMeekin in 1928; he was a Civil Engineer at the city Engineering Department. They remained at least through 1948.The home was owned by George Zorlott in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004. 

   

 
Appearance
This large two-story Craftsman house sits on a mid-block lot with lawn, foundation shrubs and a low rockery on the east side. It has clapboard cladding and a front-gable roof with deep eaves, exposed rafter tails, heavy brackets and pointed bargeboards. The tall clapboard-clad foundation has battered corners. The recessed porch on the west side of the main façade has wood steps, a clapboard-clad hip wall and square posts. The original door is wood batten with 8 small beveled lights in the top and a wood lintel above it extends over a 14-light hopper sash window to the right. A vertical 12/1 sash flanked by smaller square 12-light fixed sash in wood surround is on the left side of the façade.  The gable window is a group of 12/1 sash flanked by narrower 6/1 sash in a wood surround. Square 9-light windows are on the outer ends of the gable wall. The windows on side elevations are similar grouped and single sashes. Paired gable dormers are on the east elevation.  

Detail for 2219 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200765 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: two
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 2219 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200765 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0