Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1927 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200625 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Crook Residence Common Name: 21 Justice-O'Conner residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1922
 
Significance
This bungalow is generally intact and exhibits the influence of the Colonial Revival and Craftsman styles. It is associated with the 1920s-era development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District.  From 1928 through 1938, Gerrard Crook, Chief Inspector at Retail Credit Company, and his wife, Irma owned the house. Relatives, Kenneth L. & Evelyn Crook owned it in 1948. Kenneth was Agricultural Development Agent at Northern Pacific Railway. A UW student, Rolf R. & Dorothy Williams, resided in the home in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

 
Appearance
This one-story cottage is above the street on a sloped lot with low rockery, lawn, shrubs and groundcovers. It has an irregular plan, clapboard-cladding and a side-gable roof with shallow eaves and returns. A tall prominent stucco chimney with brick pattern work dominates the primary façade and 12/1 cottage sash flank the chimney. Concrete stairs with stucco sidewalls lead to the entry in the northwest corner which is sheltered under a flat roof with exposed extended rafter tails and a carved beam with a round column support. An original wood panel door with a single light is flanked by divided sidelights. A window on the east elevation has 12/1 sash grouped with 4/1 sash. 

Detail for 1927 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200625 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Irregular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1927 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200625 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 31, 2015

Photo taken Dec 31, 2014
App v2.0.1.0