Seattle.gov Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

This application will be offline for Maintenance Saturday Feb 4th from 6am to noon

New Search

Summary for 1923 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200620 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Bedle Residence Common Name: 21 Landin residence
Style: Arts & Crafts - Craftsman, Colonial Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1924
 
Significance
This bungalow shows both Craftsman and Colonial Revival influences. Despite minor alterations to the entry porch, it is generally intact. It  It is associated with the 1920s-era development in Montlake area and is a contributing resource to the Montlake NRHP Historic District. From at least 1928 through 1938, the home was owned by Ira W. & Winona Bedle; Ira was a banker (VP, The Marine National Bank, The Marine State Bank, Marine National Co., and Marine Bancorporation). Richard L. Smith,  a press operator at Pacific Waxed Paper Company, and his wife, Bette owned it in 1948. Arthur P. Freeman, an accountant at Farwest Garment, and his wife, Barbara were the owners in 1958.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), the Museum of History and Industry (1952) and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History. http://www.scn.org/neighbors/montlake/mcc_history.Jim_Gould.html

Polk Directory of Seattle, 1938-1958.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.



 
Appearance
This one-story shingle-clad cottage is on a sloped lot with a high rockery, shrubs and trees. It  has a rectangular plan and shingle cladding. The clipped side-gable roof with crossing clipped gable in the rear has shallow eaves, exposed rafter tails and narrow bargeboards.  The former entry in the northwest corner on the primary façade is currently a recessed balcony with wood balustrade; a small shed-roof enclosed side entry on the west elevation appears to be the primary entry. Windows on the front balcony are paired 6/9 sash; a group of three similar sash are on the left side of the primary façade and also on the west elevation and a similar single sash is on the east gable wall. A brick chimney is on the east gable wall. A single clipped-gable garage is in the back at the alley (1924).

Detail for 1923 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200620 / Inv # 0

Status:
Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Shingle - Combed Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Gable - Clipped Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: Rectangular
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Integrity
Changes to Plan: Intact
Changes to Interior: Unknown
Changes to Original Cladding: Intact
Other: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Intact
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at http://www5.metrokc.gov/ --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1923 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788200620 / Inv # 0


Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0