Home Page
Link to Seattle Department of Neighborhoods home page

Seattle Historical Sites

New Search

Summary for 1807 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788201825 / Inv # 0

Historic Name: Hoff Residence Common Name: 20 McElvain Residence
Style: Modern Neighborhood: Montlake
Built By: Year Built: 1939
This house has been highly modified with altered materials, rooflines, and windows. It is not a contributing resource to the Montlake Historic District. The earliest known owners were Cornell L. & Lorraine Hoff in 1948, who owned Hoff's Laboratory. The home was owned by Leigh & Dorothy MacArthur in 1958; he was a purchasing agent for the Western Hotel.

Montlake is generally described as extending from the Washington Park Arboretum west to Portage Bay/15th Avenue E., and from the Montlake Cut on the north to Interlaken Park. The area is a significant and cohesive collection of residential architecture typical of early 20th century Seattle and is eligible as a NRHP historic district under Criterion C.  Construction occurred primarily between 1910 and 1940, with a variety of Craftsman and  revival styles ranging from modest cottages and builder's houses to high-style architect-designed residences, impressive institutional buildings, and notable parks and natural features.  There are few intrusions of newer buildings.  In the early 1960s, construction of SR 520 and the unfinished R.H. Thomson Expressway bisected Montlake, but the neighborhood retains its basic integrity as a pre-World War II Seattle neighborhood.  

Montlake was incorporated into the City of Seattle in 1891.  Although the first  plats (Union City 1st and 2nd additions) were filed by Harvey Pike in 1869-1871, development did not really begin until plats were filed by John Boyer (Interlaken, 1905) and H. S. Turner (1907). Montlake Park (north of SR 520) was platted in 1909 by the developers James Corner and Calvin and William Hagan.  With the 1909 Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition came a streetcar line on 24th Avenue E. and an impetus for development. In 1916, the Lake Washington Ship Canal was completed and the Montlake Bridge linked the neighborhood to the university area in 1925. A small commercial district grew along the car line.

The 1903 Olmsted Parks and Boulevards Plan of 1903 surrounded Montlake with parks.  Montlake Boulevard (then call University Boulevard) connected Lake Washington Boulevard to the A-Y-P grounds.  Washington Park, the eastern boundary, was acquired by the City in 1900 and developed as an arboretum in 1936-41. At the southern edge is steep, forested Interlaken Park and boulevard.

By 1915, the neighborhood had developed enough to require a temporary school building; the permanent structure opened in 1924.Soon afterwards came a playfield and shelter house (1933-36) and a library (1944, replaced 2006). Other noteworthy structures include the Seattle Yacht Club (1920), the NOAA Northwest Fisheries Center (1931), and St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church (1962).

Major Bibliographic References:

King County Tax Assessor Records, 1937-2014.  

Becker, Paula.  Seattle Neighborhoods: Montlake--Thumbnail History.  HistoryLink File # 10170, accessed 12/2/2013.

Gould, James W. Montlake History.

Smith, Eugene. Montlake: An Urban Eden, A History of the Montlake Community in Seattle. La Grande OR: Oak Street Press, 2004.

This one-and-a-half story house has a varied roofline including hip and gabled peaks and an irregular plan. The house has been highly modified; the unusual second story was in existence as early as 1948, but has been altered. Cladding is primarily Roman brick.The rooflines were originally gabled, but are now hipped or pyramidal. The extended bay of the first story had a gabled roof with clapboard below the gable peak to the east of the primary entry, but now has a hipped roof and a bay window. The second story was once clad in clapboard and had a large centered window, but now has vinyl siding with fixed-pane windows on the east and west end of the front façade. All windows have been replaced with vinyl sash in varying configurations. The entry features a slightly recessed paneled door (not original) flanked by single-light sidelights, and sheltered by an overhanging element of the roofline. An exterior brick chimney is on the east elevation.

Detail for 1807 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788201825 / Inv # 0

Classication: Building District Status:
Cladding(s): Brick - Roman, Wood - Clapboard Foundation(s): Concrete - Poured
Roof Type(s): Gable, Hip Roof Material(s): Asphalt/Composition
Building Type: Domestic - Single Family Plan: L-Shape
Structural System: Balloon Frame/Platform Frame No. of Stories: one & ½
Unit Theme(s): Architecture/Landscape Architecture
Changes to Plan: Slight
Changes to Original Cladding: Moderate
Changes to Windows: Moderate
Major Bibliographic References
King County Assessor Property Characteristics Report, database at --parcel locator

Photo collection for 1807 E CALHOUN ST E / Parcel ID 6788201825 / Inv # 0

Photo taken Jan 01, 1900

Photo taken Jan 31, 2015
App v2.0.1.0